Back in the olden days of blogging (twenty-oh-five), we used to have daily blog starters to help us out if we didn’t have anything to say. I’ve decided to dig out the Ten for Tuesday meme and talk about being bald. The clock is ticking on my bald head, as my hair is making daily gains, and I thought I’d make a list of the top ten reasons I genuinely enjoyed being bald.
1. Showers take three minutes.
2. I haven’t bought shampoo/conditioner in months.
3. Time to leave? Give me two seconds to find a scarf that matches my shirt and I’m good to go.
4. Feeling over heated after a long walk? Stick your head under the faucet and have a nice cool down. (This one only works for the slick bald head. I have too much hair on my fuzzy head to do this without dripping water everywhere.)
5. When this hair grows back, nobody is going to ask me about my cancer, which leads me to say, “I did have a bone marrow transplant, but I did not have cancer. I had MS. Have you ever met someone who used to have MS? Let me be your first.” I’ll miss the easy opening.
6. I never lost my eyebrows or eyelashes. This made being bald a much easier prospect for me. Having hair of some sort to style makes it feel more like a dramatic hair choice instead of a medically imposed side effect. May all who endure chemo keep their eyebrows.
7. Nobody says anything at all about how “fur is murder” to the bald lady in a Russian fur hat.
8. According to my son, I look really creepy when I get annoyed. Kids do the dishes without complaint when they are afraid of the creepy bald annoyed Mom face.
9. Babies are immediately drawn to me like one of their own.
10. We did the unthinkable when we decided to head to Moscow, Russia for a bone marrow transplant. I am still surprised at my own self that I did something so hugely out of the box. My hair is the last thing MS took from me and this bald head is my favorite reminder of the craziest thing I’ve ever done.