Recent Posts

Recent Comments

Meta

About Eric’s Wife

Some may say I am a "Stay at home Mom," but that is not even close. I am Eric's Wife. I have exhilarating strokes of genius, followed almost immediately by paralyzing pangs of self doubt and, for whatever reason, here is where I blog about it - warts and all. I serve a merciful God with a clumsy hand and at the end of each day I go to sleep thankful to be His servant and Eric's wife.

What I Did for Love

June 3, 2008

I learned a coffee making tip last summer that I promise you will make good coffee even better. You need to make the coffee with cold water. It’s that simple. I don’t know why it works so well, but for some reason the coffee comes out a bit sharper and the flavor is more defined. Try it next time you make coffee.

That’s not what I came here to tell you though.

So, this morning I wake up with a kid at my door. No biggie. He comes in and gets settled with my kids for breakfast and I walk to the fridge to get the chilled water to get my coffee going. Cold water in the machine, I next open the cabinet to get the cof…

There was no coffee. We’re all out. I stare at the empty spot on the shelf and vaguely recall that a mental note was made to get more, but clearly not followed through on.

I look back at the kids and start to feel a little bit upset. “Just look at them. Eating their toast and drinking their juice. Don’t they even care that I’m having a crisis? They don’t even care. Jerks.”

Back in my bedroom, I tell a sleeping Eric, “Honey? We don’t have any coffeeeeeeee.”

He mumbles something in his pillow and it sounded to me like he was offering to watch the kids while I made the quick half a block stroll to the nearest convenient store to get some. Still in my pjs, I quickly throw on my jogging pants (I DO NOT jog. They were given to me by a jogger), a t-shirt and my trusty Birks and headed off to the store.

The walk there was a bit of a haze. I remember pushing the button to cross the busy intersection, but beyond that I am not certain how it was that I found myself actually pouring the coffee and getting it all mixed up the proper way (LOTS of cream and sugar).

Once I had my first sip of that sweet, sweet, Wag-a-Bag coffee, I came back to reality. I was awake. I was WIDE awake. Wide awake and hanging out at the Wag-a-Bag in stoopid jogging pants and a stained t-shirt. The manager engaged me in a friendly conversation about our mutual need for coffee. I think my disheveled appearance made my desperation obvious.

I paid for my crack coffee and headed out the door, quickly putting my Jackie O. sunglasses on to hide my face before scurrying across the parking lot.

Standing at the street corner and waiting for my signal to cross, I started to notice that I was the only pedestrian in sight. That didn’t strike me as any kind of big deal until I got my signal and started to cross in front of four lanes of heavy morning rush hour traffic.

I was the ONLY pedestrian. The only thing to look at while these motorists passed time waiting for the light to change. I crossed that street with a pretty massive complex. I felt countless eyes burning holes in my ridiculous jogging pants and I was certain that they all noticed the stain on my t-shirt.

I had just made it to the other side when the maintenance man from our apartments saw me and offered me a ride in his sweet golf cart. I accepted, but only because I was desperate to get home and add more creamer to my coffee.

“So, you really needed some coffee, huh Miss Amy?” (The maintenance man has become a dear friend and he calls me Miss Amy.)

“Why do you ask?”

“Well, your shirt’s on backwards and inside out. Looks like you left in a hurry.”

We’re not friends anymore.

I get back upstairs and in my little home, where shirts can be worn however we please as long as they are on, only to find Eric still in bed. He sits up and asks me if we have coffee.

So I poured his down the drain.

Not really. But in my head I did.

16 responses to “What I Did for Love”

1. Laura... says:

HAHAHAHAHA! WAY too funny. Too bad I can’t say that I totally get it. I don’t like coffee…. Deprived as a child, I think.
    But oh well, I actually get to be the FIRST to comment! WOOPEE! ^-^
    Laura from Japan…

2. Eric's Wife says:

Yay Laura! Your link didn’t work last time you commented and today is the first time I have gotten to check out my reader in Japan. I like Sakura, but after my day, I think I might go for Sanka. Hahahahahaha.

3. Susan says:

I do not understand your love for coffee, but I do understand the love. When I came home last night from a trip to take Emily to the “Doc in the Box” and then to HEB for her prescriptions I realized I was in NO way, shape or form presentable. I did have my shirt on right ways, but that was about all I had on you. And it was the evening. That is probably why the lady at the doctor’s front desk gave me attitude. Maybe.

What we do for love.

4. Eric's Wife says:

I bet Emily thanks you for that when she is twenty. Don’t hold your breath, but I bet she does.

5. Susan says:

Doubtful, as she was WAY more concerned about herself and her affliction, than she would have even been about my appearance.

6. deleise says:

Only one thing worse than no coffee. No creamer. That can make me cry.

7. Eric's Wife says:

One time I was at a ladies retreat where they had, get this, DECAF coffee only and skim milk and honey to add to it. I cried all weekend and if my Mama hadn’t been teaching, I don’t think I could tell you what the topic was.

8. This entry had me rolling!!… mainly because I completely identify. I have walked into Walmart, clad in Santa Clause boxers, a UGA Bulldogs sweatshirt, and flip flops… in the middle of December… at 6:30am… because I NEEDED some coffee for finals. Good stuff. Goooood stuff. (PS. Have you ever mixed ground cinnamon with the coffee grounds before brewing? Soooo scrumptious!)

9. Kim Heinecke says:

THis is funny. I have gone to the store for “hair product” with wet, sloppy hair… NOT a good idea when you have naturally curly hair that is VERY weather sensitive. Wish someone had warned me to simply put a hat on and remove the leftover mascara from my eyes. What.a.sight.

Take Brandy’s advice about the cinnamon. Yummy stuff girly.

10. no coffee??? that can be chalked up as a class a misdemeanor in our house…borderline felony.

11. lauren says:

Hi.lair.ious. I miss you, girl. Thanks for always making me laugh. I’m not quite to that point with coffee yet, but I’m getting close!

12. I’m glad you didn’t cause any accidents with your clothing troubles.

I have seen some interesting outfits this year being at school at 7:30 in the morning…

13. “But in my head I did” that made me giggle.

14. Eric's Wife says:

Lot of stuff that goes on in my head does not translate well in a marital relationship, I find.
    🙂

15. Jenni says:

Oh girl I feel your pain, but you are so very very funny that I giggled more than once.

I agree with Deleise that no creamer and sugar is worse than no coffee at all…and honey w/ skim milk???? What kind of sick joke is that?

16. Kandis says:

We have a Wag-a-bag in our neighborhood too! You don’t live at the Melrose Place fourplexes, do you? That would be crazy.
    Anyway, I’m no coffee drinker but my husband is sent to Wag-a-bag quite frequently for my morning Dr. Pepper.